F.A.Q,s about the Mattapoisett River Valley Water Supply Protection Advisory Committee
1- What is the Mattapoisett River Valley Water Supply Protection Advisory Committee?
Formed in 1980, this committee oversees the aquifer underlying the Mattapoisett River watershed.
2- Who makes up the committee?
Three Representatives from each of the four towns depending on the Mattapoisett River water supply for it drinking water, Fairhaven, Mattapoisett, Marion, and Rochester, are on the committee.
3- What is the most important challenge of the committee?
Ensuring a quality, safe, and abundant water supply for future generations is their primary concern.
4- How can the committee monitor this primary goal of a safe and abundant water supply for a growing population with increased demands on water in all our of its communities?
The Advisory Committee is constantly reviewing the following ongoing goals:
· Upgrading our water protection measures
· Supervising and exploring funding sources for purchasing land surrounding the aquifer to ensure protection of the Mattapoisett River
· Instigating engineering and other studies to insure quality and abundant water resources.
· Continue to develop public education programs to keep our residents informed about its water supply.
· Investigating measures to ensure water consumption.